Tuesday, September 23, 2008

September 23, 1995

My brother, Jared, was born 23 years ago. So today I might make some dirt cake (his favorite) for us to enjoy.

Taken by my dad
Photobucket

One of my favorite memories of my brother.......
One day while beginning to drive home from church, Jared, who was about two years old, got out of his car seat and moved behind the back seat of our van. This van had two vertical doors and he opened one of them. The door swung open with Jared hanging and swinging on to the door, having a good ol’ time. As we drove down the road at about 30 miles per hour, we began hearing horns honking and people were pointing with terrorized faces. This gave us a hint that something wasn't right. We stopped slowly and mom ran to the back of the van to investigate ... and there Jared was, hanging on to the door, smiling. Jared was having a great time but mom and dad were "freaked". This boy was destined to be a stunt man for the movies, we just knew it. It didn't take long for us all to be laughing about this incident. - partially copied from www.jaredstory.com with a few of my additions.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

He sounds like he was a lot of fun!! And dirt cake sounds YUMMY

Jan said...

I really am so sorry about the loss part of your brother. I am grateful to know that he still has a sister who remembers and can talk about the memories.

Debie Spurgeon said...

Enjoy the yummy cake in his honor. I know you probably hear this all the time, but I can't belive the resemblence between your brother and your son. What a wonderful, but completely nerve wracking memory of hanging out the van. My boys would love to do that.

Klingler said...

Hey, I love your blog. Great pictures. I miss you when I go visiting teaching. I hope that you are loving your new house. I was wondering if you would take my kids pictures for me. Email me or call me. 542-0037

Lottie

Jodi said...

I love that picture of Jared with the beautiful fall colors. And I totally remember my little brother doing the same thing in our van, but my Mom caught him as he was going out the sliding door. SCARY! You are truly a loving sister.