Monday, September 1, 2008

A Holiday Couple

Today is our anniversary, we've been married for 8 years. We sort of nicknamed ourselves the "holiday couple" because our relationship took a new step on different holidays.

Larry and I met at a church function in the summer of 99 and we became acquainted right after he'd signed his life away to the Air Force. We were only friends when he left for boot camp. While in boot camp, he wrote a letter to me (and 20 other friends from church). I could barely read his writing and at the end of the letter he told me not to address it to "the big L" - something his friends lovingly nicknamed him. I thought it said TO address it to "the big L" so I did. I also wrote on the back of the envelope, "sealed with a lick cause a kiss don't stick." It was just for fun, I didn't think I'd see him again anyway so a little flirting couldn't hurt. Poor Larry, he was made fun of for that one. Lucky for him, it was close to the last day of boot camp. He went to Florida for tech school and we continued to write letters.

It was over Christmas break that we really got to know one another over the phone. On Valentines Day, he and I were unofficially engaged (which meant he wanted to make it official with a ring). He proposed on Independence Day (ironically) and we were married over Labor Day weekend. That's why we got the nickname "the holiday couple."

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary!! I swore I'd never marry in Dec because my birthday is 12/16 and then comes Christmas. We got married on 12/22!!

Cindy said...

That is such a cute story! Happy Anniversay!

Jan said...

Great story. Thanks for sharing. Happy Anniversary you 2.

rip said...

Something else I have in common with you! Our anniversary is in September also. Of course, it is a few more years than yours.

Happy Anniversary! I hope you have many more "holidays" to celebrate together!

Jodi said...

Happy Anniversary "holiday couple"...I love that you have a name for yourselves. :)

Debie Spurgeon said...

Happy 8th Anniversary to the Holiday couple.

The Lane Family said...

I never knew that story. That is so cute. Looks like your guys have had a great 8 years!!!