Thursday, November 19, 2009

Jared won 1st place!!

'Beauty' was the theme of this years Reflections Contest, a national art appreciation program. Jared entered this photo.....

Photobucket

He used my spare camera and I walked with him around the yard while he took pictures of things that caught his attention. I explained a few basic ideas about composition and let him be creative. I also allowed him to pick 2 flowers so he could arrange them the way he wanted. He took his favorite flower and put it between the slats of the bench that sits in front of our house. Once we got all of the pictures onto the computer, I took a few of his photos and walked him through the editing process. I showed him some very basic things and then let him play with it. He did some wild and crazy things at first, but then got serious. I pulled up a few of the best ones and he processed them himself. I was so proud!

Here is a short video of the award ceremony. The 1st place winner got a Toys-R-Us gift card, a certificate and really nice blue ribbon. His entry will move on to a regional contest so we're wishing him luck!



And if the night couldn't be more perfect for Jared, he lost a tooth so he'll get a visit from the tooth fairy. :)

2 comments:

NaDell said...

Man, the tooth fairy must just be hovering around here lately!
Elizabeth got third for her drawing/cutouts of butterflies. We'll see you in January.
His picture is GREAT!

Krista said...

Jared's picture is fantastic!
And watch out, that tooth fairy is pretty busy and, as someone wrote on my blog, is not entirely dependable. lol Max lost one on Sunday...