Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Distractions

This morning I got up to find that my kids were already awake and waiting patiently for me to make breakfast. Jared was sitting in his "favorite" chair, it's a place of magical comfort where he has a full view of his fish swimming around in it's bowl. David is insanely jealous of this spot. He has his own chair, but it's no fun because Jared doesn't want it. There's no competition for it. Well this morning was no exception to other mornings, Jared ate his breakfast while David whined loudly that he wanted to take turns and sit in "that spot." I told him he'd have to wait until Jared was done if it was that important. As I turned my back to make my own morning drink, I could see David's face from the corner of my eye. He looked like he was about to spill a bucket of horse tears at any moment. I couldn't help but feel a little bad for him.

Jared finished his breakfast and went to shower while I cleared the "magic spot" of his dishes. I moved David's things over to that spot and tried to move him. He wouldn't budge. He became an instant lump of sadness, tears spilled over and he cried, "I wanted that spot firrrrrst." I tried to comfort him and talk him into taking the spot, but nothing was working. Then a stroke of genius hit me, distractions ALWAYS work. So I said, "David, you can feed your fish now instead of after dinner." He looked up with fresh tears, wiped them away and I could just see those sad eyes begin to light up. I gave him the fish food and he fed his fish. Afterward, he slid over to the "magic spot" and ate his breakfast. Problem solved.

3 comments:

Debie Spurgeon said...

I think distractions work for all of us, me included.

I'm the one at our house that insists we all sit in the same spots for dinner.

I'm happy feeding the fish worked. Seems simple, but saying the right thing at the right time is the trick. Great job mom.

Anonymous said...

I always forget that distraction is usually the easiest answer.

Anonymous said...

I hear that alcohol works for us adults.